Monday, November 25, 2013

Range Report: Clear Creek Shooting Range

What's better than a day at the shooting range?  Almost nothing, right?  Today I went to Clear Creek Shooting Range with four of my friends.  It's in the Daniel Boone National Forest, near Salt Lick, KY.  If that doesn't ring any bells, it's about an hour out of Lexington via I-64 East. 
It's a public range.  Cost is $7 a carload.  They have a covered area with 5 benches and target posts out to 200 yards.  There is an outhouse type toilet/restroom and paved parking.  It is the perfect place to sight in a rifle or shoot soda cans.
Or pumpkins.  Someone left their pumpkin carcass behind so we finished it off.  We also finished off a few 2-liters, 23 soda cans, a handful of empty plastic water bottles, and 3 bowling pins.  Okay, we didn't "finish off" the bowling pins, but they don't look so smug anymore.  Take that, 7-10 split!  STRIKE!  Shamefully, we left one generic brand Root Beer and a generic brand 2-liter.  Intact.  Whole.  Soda unspilled.  It is a travesty.  But never fear!  We will get those rascals next time.

Highlight of the day had to be shooting my friend's cowboy six-shooter in .45LC.  That thing was a little hand cannon.  Sweet sweet sweet.  And yes, now I want to get one.  Add it to the list.    

Okay, back to the scheduled programming.

This was my 2nd time at Clear Creek.  Both times have been on weekdays and the place has been empty.  It's cool having the place to yourself.  I'm on friendly terms with a lady who works 3rd shift at Meijer's and she tells me that the place is pretty busy on the weekends.  I don't know firsthand about that, but on weekdays, it's deadsville.  That's the way I like it.

Along with the .45LC, I got to shoot some other new guns.  Both my own and guns owned by others.  I'll do a separate post on all that.  A part two.  Because everyone loves a sequel, right?  

Well, I think this turkey is cooked.  Great range.  Great place to go shooting.  I love it. 

Clear Creek Shooting Range: A+

Order up!

        

No comments:

Post a Comment