Friday, November 1, 2013

It's Better to Collect Guns Anyway

Link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/those-comics-basement-probably-worthless-095537403.html

I collected comic books as a kid.  And yeah, I thought they would make me rich.  After all, everyone has a dad, uncle, or grandpa who had all these comic books or baseball cards that got thrown away by their moms.  And man, if those comics or cards were still around, Dad/Uncle/Grandpa would be RICH!!  I thought all I had to do was save my comics from the Thrown-Away-By-Mom fate and I'd be rolling in the dough.

I was wrong.  I learned this a long time ago, back in '99 or 2000, when I sold my collection of comics for pennies on the dollar.  I was eighteen then.  So it wasn't like I could've been collecting firearms instead of comics.  But I DO wish I had started my gun collection a lot earlier.  Not too long ago, AK-47s went for $200; SKSs for $100.  AKs are now around $550 and SKSs around $300-$350.  Though I've owned a handgun since I've been legally able, I only started collecting other firearms within the past few years.  Still I've noticed this: Guns don't lose their value.  They either retain it or go up.

Plus it's not like most of us are just sitting on our guns, waiting for our "nest egg" to hatch.  We're having fun shooting them too.  And there is nothing better than the smell of gunpowder lingering in the open air of your favorite range.  Could a comic book do that?  I don't think so.         
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment