Sunday, November 3, 2013

Deep Fry of the Day: 1971 Hawes Catalog

Kentucky Fried Firearms traveled back in time and returned with this fine catalog from 1971.  (Google Translation: Bought it on Ebay.)  As you can see, Hawes sold a lot of guns made by JP Sauer & Sohn.  On the used market today, the Western Marshals are most common.  But I have seen a Montana Marshal and a Texas Marshal for sale before.  I think I saw a Chief Marshal on Gunbroker that wasn't labeled as such (the adjustable sights and short hammer look familiar).  The Virginia City Marshal is new to me.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for one (as if I wasn't obsessively checking Gunbroker and Armslist already).

The catalog itself contains five pages.  It's interesting to see what Hawes had to offer in '71.  I'll be honest.  I'd like to collect (and shoot) all the variants.  (Google Translation: Time to take out a 2nd mortgage.)

The most fascinating thing for me is on the bottom left corner in the orange box.  It looks like the .357 version (Model #6357C) could've been purchased with a optional 9mm cylinder.  And for whatever reason, shooting 9mm out of a cowboy six-shooter sounds so wrong, it's got to right.  You know what I mean?  I feel I've got to try it.  So yeah, add 9mm cylinder to the list of things I'll obsessively check for online.

Well, it looks like this deep fry is just about done.  Order up!     

UPDATE: Numrich used to sell a replacement 9mm cylinder (blue/nickel) for $58.85 but it looks like they sold out a long time ago.  I'll keep watching GB and Armslist.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment